As the war in Ukraine continues to devastate the country, people across Warwickshire and Coventry have been quick to offer support and assistance to Ukrainians. There are many ways to help, here we list a few.
Advice on helping refugees
- The Church of England has published a ‘toolkit’ of resources for parishes seeking to help refugees from Ukraine, plus additional safeguarding resources.
- The Sanctuary Foundation is asking churches to pledge their support for new arrivals from the Ukraine and has a useful video about welcoming refugees.
- Refugees at Home is a UK charity which connects those with a spare room in their home to refugees and asylum seekers in need of somewhere to stay. They have particular advice about homes for Ukranian refugees.
There are many organisations raising money for Ukraine. Two of the main appeals are:
- Warwickshire County Council has a section on their webiste for newly arrived Ukranian refugees as well as residents wishing to help.
- Coventry City Council have pages on their website about support for newly arrived Ukranian refugees.
- Carriers of Hope ensure refugees and asylum seekers have access to essential items and also have the opportunity to volunteer, improve their English and access training.
- Fresh Start is a project run by Together for Change . Fresh Start runs a football group with St Mark's, Coventry, English conversation classes, a family church service for English second language speakers, and a group for men.