The Chaplain with the Deaf people offers:
- Pastoral support for all profoundly deaf, partially deaf, deafened, deaf-blind and hard of hearing people in the Coventry Diocese. In Coventry alone, there are approximately 5000 people who are registered as profoundly deaf
- Conducting or assisting at baptisms, funerals and weddings for Deaf people
- British Sign Language (BSL) interpretation. The Chaplain holds the NVQ3 in BSL
- Guidance to churches and institutions regarding the Disability Discrimination Act, and how this impacts on all types of deafness.
- Deaf awareness training to churches and institutions.
- A six week introductory course in British Sign Language (BSL). This course is free of charge and is open to all churches and institutions, and if there is a group interested then they should contact the Chaplain.
- Upon completion of this course, many go on to study the CACDP level 1 in BSL.
- Away days and retreats for all types of Deaf people.
Coventry Deaf Church
Meets on the first Sunday of each month at 3pm. From beginning to end, the Deaf people are involved in the service with reading, prayers, preaching, leading responses and giving notices. The service is conducted in BSL and voice over is provided.
The Deaf Church meets at Christ Church, Frankpledge Road, Cheylesmore, Coventry CV3 5GT
There are approximately 60-70 members. Everyone is welcome.
Please note that the post of Chaplain is currently vacant.
In the meantime, the contact person for the Deaf Church is Austin Reeves who can be emailed at email@example.com