Serving people in work and out of work
The current financial situation is bringing unprecedented concerns to people in their working lives, whether it is threrats to their jobs, problems with debt, or simply stress over how the credit crunch is threatening or changing the situation at work. Working people spend a large proportion of their energy on their work. As Christians we want to bring God into our work life and support ways of doing that.
WORKCARE (which used to be known as Mission in the World of Work) has as its visionto bring the love of Christ to the workplace in two ways:
1. By encouraging ordinary Christians and their churches to see the importance of work life in the daily ministry of each Christian.2. By recruiting and maintaining chaplains in a number of workplaces, including industry, commerce and the emergency services.3. We are also involved in encouraging Christians from the workplace and those who are facing or have experienced redundancy.4. Since the recent recession and general financial downturn, we have put considerable effort to support and encourage churches in their work with those seeking employment through job clubs and initiatives targetted at other groups such as graduates and people mid or late career.
Paul Simmonds is the Anglican Development officer for Workcare (part time) and is
Paul Simmondsparticularly involved in working with local churches in helping them become'Workaware'. This is for the benefit of people in work and out of work. He is available to come to your parish - contact him at email@example.com
Why do we do it?
The mission of the Christian Churches is to be in the world and not just in the churches. We believe that our engagement, largely through local church ministers and members (as chaplains) places the Churches where people are, and where perhaps their most important activity takes place, the workplace.
We believe also that the Churches should be aware of and engaged with the wider economy and the issues that should concern the whole Christian, and wider faith community.
We believe the churches should include in their regular pattern of worship prayers and teaching that affirms their members and their communities and the work they do. It should offer support and concern at times of closures, job losses.
We believe the support of people within their working lives is an important contribution to wellbeing at work, absenteeism and stress.
What do we offer through our chaplains?
- The presence of a chaplain who will visit regularly and be know by the workforce providing pro-active as well as reactive care.
- An independent person offering confidential repport and may also offer counselling services (where properly trained and supported).
- Training in work related issues.
- Involvement at all levels if required.
What are our aims?
- Our aim is to support people in the workplace without regard to ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or faith.
- We work to a code of conduct and are always seeking to raise the standard of the services we offer by whatever means are available to us.
We are actively seeking to build interfaith relationships. We have a list of contacts among the leaders of other faith communities and can refer those people who come to us wanting to speak to a leader of their own faith community.
- Companies pay towards the cost of our services.
- The Churches of CTCW (Churches Together in Coventry & Warwickshire) contribute.
- Some of our Chaplains do their work in a voluntary capacity, which enables us to provide a service where other finances are not available.
- Specially funded projects receive special support to make them viable, we apply for these funds and can only proceed with their guaranteed support.
Would your company like a chaplain?
We contact potential “customers” with the following proposal - If you believe that chaplaincy would benefit your workplace, contact the Team. We will be glad to meet your Human Resources Team and Trades Union or Staff Association representatives.
- An informal conversation, without commitment is often the best approach
- We can tailor the chaplaincy to the way that your organisation works
- We will recruit a suitable candidate
Work with us! "Calling local churches"
If you would like to help as an individual or as a church, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of us will be in touch with you. Thanks!